October is Black History Month – Celebrate with us.
Black History Month runs throughout October and recognises the contribution of Black people and culture to the history and the future of our society.
At the Students’ Union, we know it’s important to celebrate Black culture throughout the year, and we want to join our Afro-Caribbean Society in dedicating this year’s Black History Month to Black Excellence. We are also joining University colleagues in discussions around how to decolonise the curriculum at the University, in work led by the University Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Team, and the Library.
Look below for events happening throughout the month to recognise Black contributions and celebrate culture. We have club nights, film showings and discussion groups taking place to help all students take part and contribute.
- Friday Oct 1st | Union Instagram Quiz
- Thursday 7th October | Film night – Hidden Figures – Marquee – 6.30pm
- Thursday 14th | ACS Insta Takeover
- Friday, October 15th | Afrobeats and Bashment Night – Rubix
- Rubix takeover playing everything Afrobeats and Bashment. With special guest DJ Cuppy
- Tuesday, 19th October | Black Lives Matter Movement – Lake.
- A demonstration with students and staff addressing the Black Lives Matter Movement and ways to tackle injustices and racism whilst celebrating black culture.
- Saturday, October 23rd | 90’s Party: Hip Hop & RnB – Rubix
- Rubix takeover playing everything Hip Hop & RnB, come dressed in 90’s attire.
- Tuesday, October 26th | Black Mental Health Panel – LTG
- A panel event with mental health professionals and students about mental health and wellbeing within the black community.
- Thursday 28th October | Decolonising the Curriculum Working Group Meeting – Microsoft Teams, 12pm-1pm
- A meeting group with the Students’ Union, University and students to develop ways Surrey can decolonise the curriculum and recognise/celebrate Black History.
Things to do
- Make a positive contribution by joining our discussion on Decolonising the Curriculum, taking place on the 28th of October – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Join the Students’ Union’s Liberation Network, a group of volunteers campaigning on issues impacting students from Liberation backgrounds including black and ethnic minority students. The Liberation Network – University of Surrey Students’ Union (ussu.co.uk)